5/8/18 GAS PUMP

Gas prices at a local Mobil station rise ahead of the summer season. 

Gasoline prices in Indiana have risen 3 cents per gallon in the past week, averaging $2.85/g yesterday, according to GasBuddy's daily survey of 3,271 stations in Indiana.

This compares with the national average that has increased 0.5 cents per gallon versus last week to $2.84/g, according to GasBuddy.

Average gasoline prices on Sept. 17 in Indiana have ranged widely over the last five years: $2.43/g in 2017, $2.19/g in 2016, $2.21/g in 2015, $3.37/g in 2014 and $3.39/g in 2013.

Including the change locally during the past week, prices yesterday were 42 cents per gallon higher than a year ago and are 1.8 cents per gallon lower than a month ago. The national average has increased 0.5 cents per gallon during the last month and stands 23.8 cents per gallon higher than a year ago.

Areas near Indiana and their current gas price climate:

Champaign:  $2.73/g, down 2.9 cents per gallon from last week's $2.76/g.

Indianapolis: $2.75/g, down 6.7 cents per gallon from last week's $2.82/g.

Cincinnati: $2.78/g, up 2.2 cents per gallon from last week's $2.76/g.

"With several areas of tropical weather moving away from the U.S. comes some breathing room for energy markets, with oil prices under pressure as the risk premium subsides, setting the stage for some relief at the gas pump as we progress through the week," said Patrick DeHaan, head of petroleum analysis for GasBuddy. "Despite the tremendous blow and flooding of the Carolinas, Florence's impact on oil delivery and refinery operations was next to nothing."