10/30/2015 David Sanders

David Sanders

David Sanders is an associate professor of biological sciences at Purdue University. He is also a long-term resident of West Lafayette. He has three sons who all attended the West Lafayette public school system.

Why are you running?

I’m the candidate who has been conducting an active campaign for the office of At Large City Council. I’ve been going door-to-door for months, attending public meetings, city council meetings – I’ve been out there meeting the voters. Something I will continue to do in the future is make sure that there is full public participation in the decisions that city council makes. I am a strong believer in trying to encourage as much government transparency as possible. The final thing that really distinguishes me from other candidates is my profession. I spend time analyzing numbers and statistics, and those skills are very valuable when you are trying to make sure that the city is spending its money wisely and getting the best benefits out of its expenditures. I will be a public watchdog on the city council.

What would you do if elected?

There are a number of issues that the city faces. The State Street redevelopment project. It is important to make sure that the residents in the recently-annexed areas of West Lafayette are welcomed and receive full city services. We want to make sure that there is better coordination of road construction, and also, we have to determine a site for the new city hall. In each of these cases, it is important to have somebody who has quantitative analytical skills, which I have. I think it is important to have someone who has public health experience, because the city faces a number of public health issues.

What is one main issue that needs to be addressed by City Council?

I believe there are four major issues we will be facing. Traffic, City Hall, State Street and making sure that the annexation continues to go smoothly. People need to know they are a part of West Lafayette, and they are receiving the proper access to public services.

What is your favorite hobby?

My favorite hobby may be going to archaeological sites. I’ve done that all over the world. I did it so much I thought my children were completely turned off by it, but my middle son is now going to be an archaeologist. He is studying archaeology at the University of Chicago. He shocked me a number of years ago and said, “Dad, I want to go on a dig.” We actually spent the summer on a dig together. He totally surprised me when he said that is what he wanted to do that summer. He stuck with it, and now he is a graduate student in archaeology.