9/29/11 Brian Lamb Interviews Mitch Daniels Fowler Hall

Gov. Mitch Daniels and C-SPAN founder Brian Lamb address a question following the interview Thursday on campus.

Gov. Mitch Daniels admitted to Purdue alumnus and C-SPAN founder Brian Lamb that there might still be a possibility of holding a higher office, such as U.S. vice president, during the Thursday afternoon C-SPAN interview of Daniels in Fowler Hall.

Daniels has been traveling around the country and giving interviews to promote his new book, “Keeping the Republic: Saving America by Trusting Americans,” something Lamb called a move for a hopeful presidential candidate. Daniels, though, will not be running for president – vice president is a different story.

Lamb asked if there was any circumstance that Daniels would accept the vice president position.

“I’d have to talk to the five women in the Daniels family again, and I don’t know what they’d say,” Daniels said.

Daniels wouldn’t say for sure if there was a possibility, but instead segued into awarding Lamb with the Sagamore of the Wabash, the highest honor awarded by the state of Indiana.

Lamb wasn’t the only person asking Daniels questions, Purdue students directly questioned the governor as well.

Brett Highley, president of the Purdue Student Government, was the first to ask Daniels a question; however, he was disappointed with Daniels’ answer.

Highley said with the high increases in tuition the perception of a higher education has changed from a public service to a private commodity.

“I’d like to hear you speak to the nature in change of perception, the resulting cost and the outlook for future students in terms of accessibility of higher education,” Highley asked.

Daniels responded that the value of higher education has never been more important than now, but that universities need to run more efficiently on less tax dollars.

“There’s some things the tax payers can do, but there are things higher education has to take responsibility for, too,” Daniels said.

Highley appreciated the answer but didn’t think it suited his question.

“I was really asking to hear his perspective as to what the underlying causes are for the dramatic increases (students) have seen,” Highley said. “It was not addressed.”

Students asked questions about the role of “going green” in the federal budget, health insurance and the government’s options to alleviate debt. Lamb asked challenging questions as well, but he also tried to keep the interview lighthearted.

Daniels is known for trying to save money while on the campaign trail and, rather than get a hotel room, stay in homes of welcoming Indiana residents. He’s stayed in more than 100 homes around the state. Lamb asked Daniels about the moment he decided that staying in Hoosiers’ homes for his campaign was a bad idea.

Daniels responded that there wasn’t such a moment, but that he did have some interesting homestays.

“I’d wake up with little pink bunnies on me and ask, ‘Where am I?’” Daniels joked.