NEW ALBANY, Ind. - As President Bush rallied support for the No Child Left Behind Act Friday, Democrats and even Republicans said some facets of the plan need to change.

Following Bush's speech, Gov. Mitch Daniels said that although he supports the plan to improve Indiana schools, he wants measurement techniques to be re-evaluated. He said he would like to see schools evaluated not on the pass or fail medium, but instead on more of a sliding scale method.

But Daniels said the plan is working.

"Until five years ago, in most states, you didn't know where (schools stood), so you couldn't tell if you improved or not," he said. "Now that every state is measuring, it is possible to tell whether Silver Street or any school is helping children move fast enough or not."

U.S. Rep. Baron Hill, D-District 9, said the act is too tough on schools and sees problems with funding.

"We passed the law and we demanded accountability and I don't object to that at all. But we haven't supplied the dollars as promised and we need to keep that promise.

"The law says that the federal government could actually shut down schools here in Indiana or anywhere else in the country and actually fire the teachers and principals," said Hill. "The president speaks about local control ... that's not local control and that needs to change."

Hill said part of his solution is to revamp the way the act evaluates special needs children. He suggests setting up a separate test "so they can realistically meet the standards that we issue for them."

"I just find that we can do things better by doing some things differently and I think the president, in my judgment in talking with him, is ready to make those changes."