5/14/19 best gas station restrooms by state

Millions of Americans hitting the road for the summer driving season can forgo the extra toilet paper when making a pit stop.

GasBuddy finds that gas station restrooms are getting cleaner year over year, according to a press release.

According to GasBuddy ratings and reviews data, gas station restroom cleanliness ratings have improved 6% since 2017, with Utah-based Maverik flushing the competition by claiming the top spot in six states, the most out of any other brands. Wawa and QuikTrip tied in second, leading in six states, followed by, Irving, Kwik Trip, Sheetz and Sinclair each topping the list in three states. The state with the highest gas station restroom ratings overall is Nebraska.

In Indiana, the honors go to Casey's General Stores.

While Maverik captured the most states, Texas-based Buc-ee’s clenches the top spot with the highest-rated gas station restrooms in the nation.

“The reputation of gas station restrooms has cleaned up significantly in the past three years, with brands making concentrated efforts to make their facilities sparkle” says Frank Beard, convenience store and retail trends analyst at GasBuddy.

Clean, quality restrooms continue to be a concern for motorists on the road. According to a 2019 summer travel survey, 40% of travelers fear needing to use the restroom but not knowing where to find a clean one, an increase of 3% from the previous year.

Consumers have written millions of reviews covering more than 150,000 retail locations where gasoline is sold. They can review gas stations and their restrooms directly in the free GasBuddy app.