8/11/19 power outage map

An outage map on Duke Energy's website shows the approximate locations of several power outages in the Greater Lafayette area Sunday morning.

A power outage early Sunday morning knocked out electricity for a portion of the Greater Lafayette area.

Outages were first reported around 8 a.m., and the number of residents affected by outages reached a peak of approximately 10,000 at about 10:45 a.m.

According to an outage map on the Duke Energy website, around 8,000 of those residents live on or around campus.

A representative from Duke said the outage was caused by a fire in one of the company’s nearby substations. She said the fire had been controlled as of 9:30 a.m. Sunday, and the power should be “back on fairly soon.”

Areas as far apart as McCutcheon Residence Hall and the Chauncey Hill area were affected. Several traffic lights were down at the intersection of Grant and State streets as well as south of State Street.

“A Duke Energy circuit breaker malfunction caused most of campus to lose power,” Purdue spokesman Jim Bush said in an email. “Of the affected, power to most of campus has been restored. A few buildings remain without power but it is expected to be restored to them (Sunday).”

Additional power outages were seen north of Sagamore Parkway and in Lafayette.

As of 3 p.m. Sunday, power had been restored in most areas on and around campus. About 220 Duke customers north of Sagamore Parkway were still experiencing outages at that time, according to the map.