6/26/13 Lafayette Pride

A rainbow flag representing equality is positioned next to an American flag in a backpack at Wednesday's rally for marriage equality in Lafayette on the John T. Myers pedestrian bridge.

Pride Lafayette is sashaying into Pride Month 2021 with its first ever “1K Sashay” on Saturday.

The 1k replaces the pandemic-cancelled OUTfest, one of the not-for-profit organization’s largest sources of revenue. OUTfest, a festival made to bring attention to LGBTQ issues in the Lafayette area, was cancelled in 2020 because of COVID-19 concerns.

Amber Gibson, vice president of Pride Lafayette, said visitors came from as far as Illinois and Ohio to enjoy live entertainment, a wide variety of vendors, beer gardens, a drag show and family activities in 2019.

Gibson said the sashay was created to better include participants who require different methods of movement. People of all ages are allowed to “walk, stroll, roll, frolic, dance, skip, hop and prance” from Pride Lafayette’s office on 640 Main St. to Spot Tavern at 409 S. 4th St., according to the event’s Facebook page.

Pride Lafayette has also set up a drag show at the Spot Tavern from 9 to 11 p.m. No reservations are required: Patrons simply have to make a $5 donation to the organization as they arrive at the door.

The sashay is sponsored by one returning and two new Lafayette sponsors: Spot Tavern, which had sponsored OUTfest in 2019, Snuggs Pizza and the Eleventh House.

Snuggs Pizza, a Lafayette business founded less than a year ago, will be offering its “Grandma slices” to Sashay ticket-holders. The ingredients for the Snuggs exclusive are either provided by on-site gardens or from local Lafayette farmers.

Gianna Hartman, the owner of the Eleventh House coffee, said being able to participate in an event like the 1k helps local up-and-coming companies express what they stand for: pride, inclusion and equal opportunity.

The shortly tenured shop opened as a “pop-up”-style coffeehouse in November 2019.

Like many upstart businesses, the company had to find ways to rebuild after COVID-19 forced shutdowns. The Eleventh House found ways to bounce back higher than before by selling cold brews from pop-ups across Lafayette while collaborating with businesses and people they had worked with before.

Gibson said she is a proud supporter of up-and-coming businesses and helping rural communities. She wanted to reach out to newer businesses in the area and see them succeed after being hit by the COVID-19 pandemic. She has also recruited a volunteer staff to help coordinate the 1k Sashay.

Pre-registration ticket prices range from $15 to $20. The sashay will be split into three time slots, each with its own amenities and treats provided by the three local sponsors: 10 a.m. to noon, 1 to 3 p.m. and 5 to 7 p.m. Evening (5-7 p.m.) tickets are in limited supply and can only be purchased by those 21 and older.

More information can be found on the event’s Facebook page, as well as Pride Lafayette’s Instagram profile and website.