5/17/18 Plane Emergency Landing

A Purdue plane made an emergency landing in a field near Shadeland on Thursday afternoon. There were no injuries.

Authorities are continuing to investigate the circumstances that forced a two-seater plane to make an emergency landing near Shadeland about 4:52 p.m. Thursday. 

The Purdue plane was being flown as part of the Able Flight program operated out of the Purdue Airport, according to a University spokesman. 

It had taken off with the intent of completing routine flying patterns and was on its way back to the airport when the plane experienced an engine failure, the Purdue spokesman said. 

The Able Flight program provides people with disabilities the opportunity to acquire their light sport pilots license, according to a press release. The intensive program requires students to fly with a Purdue flight instructor up to three times per day. 

Tippecanoe County deputy Ryne Shoemaker said the instructor was piloting at the time of the emergency landing. 

The two passengers suffered no injuries. After being cleared by medical staff on scene, the University spokesman said the two will be transported back to the Purdue airport.

The plane will remain on site until the Federal Aviation Administration conducts an investigation, at which point, it, too, will be taken back to the airport.