The first of two sentencing hearings for students who hacked Purdue’s system to change their grades took place Monday afternoon.

In 2010, three students hacked into Purdue’s computer system by reportedly stealing and inserting key logging devices in professors’ keyboards, allowing them access to passwords, which were later used to enter the system.

On Dec. 30 Sujay Sharma, 25, pleaded guilty to a class D felony of Conspiracy to Commit Computer Tampering. At his hearing on Monday, he was sentenced to 18 months of supervised probation and 200 hours of community service for his role in the hacking scandal. He will serve his community service in Johnson County, where he currently lives with his parents. The plea agreement also included Sharma’s testimony against his co-defendants.

Sharma had one class to complete after six years of studying nuclear engineering before graduating, but was expelled after a review from the Office of the Dean of Students. He acted as a lookout while his co-defendant, Roy Sun, changed grades.

Sun also pleaded guilty to three class D felonies: one count of conspiracy to commit computer tampering and two counts of computer tampering.

A third suspect, Mitsutoshi Shirasaki, allegedly changed 24 grades from 2010 to 2012; however, authorities say Shirasaki may have fled to his home country of Japan.

Sun is scheduled for his sentencing this Thursday.

Editor’s note: The full story will be available in Friday’s edition following Roy Sun’s sentencing.