11/10/16 Honoring Veterans

Students gathered to honor active and retired service members on Veterans Day in 2015.

As part of Veterans Day today, students will gather at a local veterans’ home to thank the men and women who served our country.

The Veterans Day Sunset Salute will consist of a candlelit vigil and a drive-through procession at the local Indiana Veterans’ Home. The event will take place from 5 p.m. to 7 p.m. today off Soldiers Home Road in West Lafayette. The veterans’ home address is 3051 N. River Road, West Lafayette. The event will be marked clearly for those who want to attend.

Zach Decker, a student in construction management, said, “We would love to see some students come out and show support for those vets who are living there because of health/injury from tours of duty. We’re also collecting donations for the home itself for their services that they provide year round. We’re teaming up with the Boy Scouts, ROTC and local firefighters to also join us for their procession.”

He added that, “The Veterans’ Home is an homage to the history of (Greater) Lafayette, and if it weren’t for veterans like these, our university wouldn’t be here. We also think it’s important for students to give back to the community that Purdue thrives on around them.”