11/5/19 City Election, John Dennis, Zachary Baiel

West Lafayette Mayor John Dennis speaks to challenger Zachary Baiel after the election results were released. Baiel ran as an independent against the three-term mayor. Dennis will start his fourth term in January.

Incumbent John Dennis has won the mayoral election with a total of 2,274 votes to Independent candidate Zachary Baiel's 724 votes on Tuesday.

This will be Dennis' fourth consecutive term. Dennis was first elected in 2007.

"I'm delighted, obviously," Dennis said, moments after winning. "I spent a lot of time in West Lafayette and I've been mayor for 12 years. We've done a lot of good, had a great team and we had a lot of good growth and success."

Despite the loss, Baiel said he was happy about the attention his campaign brought to government transparency.

"I know that we did successfully get more people talking about transparency, more people talking about accountability and more people talking about how the digital space is utilized," Baiel said. "And so hopefully, the rest of the community starts pushing, because that definitely did resonate. And obviously it resonated so much where we still did get nearly a quarter of the vote. So we're happy with that."

Some calibration mishaps in the morning caused early-morning technical difficulties for some voters, who cast ballots on a mix of both new and old polling machines in several polling locations. 

Other notable victories include Democrat Shannon Kang, who unseated Republican incumbent Jonathon Jones in District 3 and Kathy Parker, who won over Republican John Meyers in District 5. Both will be new additions to the city council in January.

Democrats Gerald Thomas and David Sanders were re-elected as two of the three at-large city councilors. Democrat James Blanco will replace incumbent Republican Steve Dietrich, who finished fourth out of four candidates, as the third at-large councilor.

As a result of the election, Democrats' control of the city council will grow to 7-2 in January.

A total of 13 percent of 61,473 registered voters in Tippecanoe County turned out for the municipal election. Approximately 2,100 of those were early voters, compared to over 4,000 during the last municipal election in 2015.

For city council, the results are as follows:

District 1:

Sydney Rivera (R): 36 (40%)

Nick DeBoer (D): 54 (60%)

District 2:

Jonathan Livermore (R): 57 (27.1%)

Peter Bunder (D): 153 (72.9%)

District 3:

Jonathon Jones (R): 40 (36.0%)

Shannon Kang (D): 71 (64.0%)

District 4:

Larry Leverenz (D): 856 (100%), unopposed

District 5:

John Meyers (R): 627 (45.8%)

Kathy Parker (D): 742 (54.2%)

District 6:

Norris Wang (R): 115 (51.1%)

Austin Bohlin (D): 110 (48.9%)

At Large:

Gerald Thomas (D): 2,204 (29.5%)

David Sanders (D): 1,855 (24.8%)

James Blanco (D): 1,844 (24.6%)

Steve Dietrich (R): 1,579 (21.1%)

Incumbent Democrat Sana Booker ran uncontested and won for city clerk, and incumbent Democrat Lori Stein Sabol ran uncontested and won for city judge.

Incumbent Democrat Tony Roswarski ran uncontested for Lafayette mayor and won. Democrats will continue to hold the majority on the Lafayette City Council in January.