9/2/19 Thomas Miller Elementary

The pilot program of Read to Succeed took place at Thomas Miller Elementary School.

On Thursday, Read to Succeed officially kicked off its newest chapter of the literacy program with the goal of expanding into more schools and increasing overall volunteers.

Read to Succeed, the local, volunteer-based literacy program with the goal of improving childrens’ literacy skills with the help of community members, celebrated the start of the 2019 campaign.

“The biggest difference is we’re trying to reach more schools,” said Sam Newton, Board President of United Way of Greater Lafayette. “So every year we try to increase our volunteers … as far as number of volunteers, I think we’re pushing 600.”

The volunteers take an hour a week to sit down in a classroom and read to the kids to help improve their reading skills.

“What we’ll typically do is you find the outliers, the ones that either aren’t keeping up or the ones that will struggle a little bit and those are the ones that are pulled to the side and they’re giving them more of a one on one.”

By the end of the semester or school year, Newton said, the student will streamed back into the group, caught up with the others in terms of reading skills.

Part of the new campaign for United Way of Greater Lafayette new start of their fundraising drive. Donations of $2 a week will include a t-shirt from United Way with all funds going to the initiatives United Way offer. United Way is expanding its initiatives into teen programming, substance abuse and mental health.