WL Public Library

The West Lafayette Public Library may go under an $11 million renovation, set to be completed by spring 2022.

After Monday's West Lafayette city council meeting, an $11 million project to upgrade and improve the West Lafayette Public Library  including a new entrance and outdoor area  is set to begin in summer 2020.

Local growth in the area and increased library usage, coupled with necessary maintenance upgrades, prompted the upgrade, according to the proposal for the project.

A facility study of the building helped identify various improvements to the library. The city wants to improve local history and archive areas, expand programs spaces and increase collaborative learning spaces as well as children and teen areas.

It also aims to develop the outdoor "hardscape," which is located off the Northwestern Avenue side of the building. The plan is meant to better fit the city’s plans for festivals and daily use, the project concept says.

A feasibility study that was conducted identified over $11 million in "potential project options and scope," according to the project concept.

The plan also highlights that the project does not include the raising of property taxes to fund the project and that the library board determined it will keep the project under the $11 million mark. Around $3 million is associated with maintenance costs to the building and systems.

The plan expects the construction of the project will begin in the late summer of 2020 and be completed in spring 2022.