Jahmal Moore

Jahmal Moore

The county coroner has listed existing high blood pressure and morbid obesity as likely causes of Tuesday morning's death of an inmate who fell ill in the county jail.

Jahamal R. Moore, 40, most recently listed as a resident in the 2400 block of Greenbush Street in Lafayette, was found unconscious after sitting at a table in the day room of the Tippecanoe County Jail around 8:05 a.m. Tuesday. He was transported to a local hospital, where he was pronounced dead.

On Thursday, Coroner Donna Avolt listed the preliminary cause of death as "savor hypertensive cardiomyopathy." The final autopsy report is awaiting toxicology analysis, which will take four to six weeks for results.

Avolt said in layman's terms Moore suffered from untreated high blood pressure. She said his weight was likely a contributing factor as well. She emphasized that the upcoming toxicology results will shed a more conclusive report on Moore's cause of death.

The 6-foot-3, 300-pound Moore had been in jail since July 26 after pleading guilty to drug charges after a Feb. 9 arrest. He had been sentenced to two years in prison at that time.

EARLIER COVERAGE:

On Tuesday morning, an inmate at the Tippecanoe County Jail fell ill and was taken to the hospital, where he was pronounced dead.

Jahmal R. Moore, 40, most recently of the 2400 block of Greenbush Street in Lafayette, fell ill around 8:05 a.m. Tuesday morning while sitting "on a table in a dayroom when he fell unconscious," according to a press release from the Tippecanoe County Sheriff’s Office.

He was subsequently transported to Franciscan Hospital. An autopsy has been scheduled and the Indiana State Police is investigating the incident alongside with the county coroner’s office, according to the press release.

Moore had a criminal record that dated back to 2004, according to online records.

He most recently has been in jail related to a Feb. 9 arrest that resulted in a June 14 guilty plea for possession of a synthetic drug. For the 2019 charges, he was sentenced to two years in the Tippecanoe County Jail or Indiana Department of Correction, according to online court records along with a $500 fine.

He was been in the county jail since July 26.

In the June sentencing, the judge cited nine misdemeanor and nine felony convictions in the past as factors for the two-year jail sentence.