1/2/19 Police Stock Images, Lafayette Police Car (copy)

A Chicago man has been charged with two counts of murder after a July 5 double homicide.

Devonta Roberts, 27, shot and killed Victoria Moore, 22, and her 3-year-old daughter, Datoria Harris, at the Romney Meadows apartment complex on Mount Court at 11:30 p.m. on July 5, according to a probable cause affidavit filed Wednesday. Harris was found in front of the residence and Moore was found laying on the kitchen floor. Harris was life-lined to an Indianapolis hospital and Moore was transported to an area hospital. Both were pronounced dead.

They suffered multiple gunshot wounds and were transported to the hospital but died from their injuries, the affidavit states.

Dispatch viewed security cameras in Romney Meadows and noted that a car registered to Roberts left the complex shortly before the 911 call. Officers followed the car until it parked in the area of 5th and Main Streets in Lafayette, the affidavit said. Roberts then exited the car and officers reported they saw what had appeared to be blood on his shirt.

Roberts, who is listed as homeless and from Chicago in county jail records, was later apprehended by LPD after reportedly fleeing the scene. According to the affidavit, Roberts is believed to be Moore's boyfriend and Datoria's father.

A witness told police that she heard Roberts making threats to kill Moore on Monday. Roberts was arrested Tuesday morning on two preliminary charges of murder, though his name did not appear in online jail records.

LPD did not respond to phone calls on Tuesday for more details.