A homeless man who police say grabbed and raped a Purdue student July 20 on the Heritage Trail was arrested Tuesday night.

The woman had been exercising about 45 minutes when an unknown male grabbed her from behind, according to a probable cause affidavit filed Sept. 11. 

The woman tried to call 911 and reached for her cell phone in the running belt on her waist, but the man, who police say was 21-year-old Lyondre Williams, took the belt off her waist and threw it on the ground, according to the affidavit.

Williams then allegedly raped the woman. Court documents state he later stood up, redressed, took her cell phone and fled on foot.

Officers searched the area and found surveillance video from the pedestrian bridge showing a black male, who matched the victim's description, entering Lafayette. Officers also located surveillance video at a Wendy's in West Lafayette before the sexual assault occurred.

Williams, who is listed as homeless, was arrested Tuesday on charges of three felonies — rape, attempted rape and sexual battery — and misdemeanor interference with the reporting of a crime. He was in Tippecanoe County Jail as of Wednesday morning with a $150,000 bail. Jail records say he is due in court Wednesday afternoon.

According to court records, Williams was also charged in June on misdemeanor counts of trespassing and resisting arrest. Trial is set for Oct. 17 on those charges.