A Lafayette resident was charged Wednesday with five separate counts of battery after going to his girlfriend’s residence drunk a week ago.

Thomas Smith, 29, refused to leave his girlfriend’s West Lafayette residence the night of Aug. 15. When she asked him to leave, he “began striking her in the face multiple times,” according to police records. Police officers dispatched to the scene observed her with a bruised eye and red marks on her cheek and ear.

When the woman’s children, 7 and 9 years old, tried to stop Smith from hitting her, he pushed both to the ground. The 7-year-old was later taken to Franciscan St. Elizabeth Hospital for treatment.

Smith was charged with battery resulting in bodily injury to a person less than 14 years of age, battery on a person less than 14 years old, domestic battery, battery resulting in bodily injury and domestic battery with a prior conviction.

Prior records show that Smith is a habitual offender. He was previously convicted of domestic battery on July 30, and of drug possession in January and in November 2017. He was also convicted of intimidation in February 2018 and of battery of a law enforcement officer in February 2015.

Smith has been held in the Tippecanoe County Jail since early Friday morning on a bail of $20,000, according to jail records.