8/1/19 Muinzer apartments

Muinzer apartments Wednesday afternoon, in the midst of construction. 

The small-format Target store expected to open in time for the fall 2019 semester now won't open until sometime in 2020, according to a Target spokeswoman.

Representative Liz Hancock said a more specific timeline is unavailable as of yet.

Based on current floor plans, Director of Development Erik Carlson said the store does plan to include a produce aisle. Target's original announcement in April focused on "grab-and-go items" and "meal solutions," but Carlson said the city views fresh produce as a necessity given the lack of a grocery store within walking distance of campus and nearby residences.

Some areas of and around campus have been termed a food desert by the U.S. Department of Agriculture since at least 2010, more so since Fresh City Market closed in early 2018.

The store is also likely to include home products and appliances, Carlson said, among other things.

He confirmed that the four floors of apartments above the store, while also delayed, are likely to be completed during the fall semester. The developers hope to get temporary certificates of occupancy within the next month or two, which will allow them to begin furnishing the apartments. Meanwhile, Muinzer Management plans to provide temporary housing for incoming tenants.