Tippecanoe County Sheriff's Department

Editor's note: This article originally indicated that the child in question was 16, but police later clarified he is 10. The story has been updated to reflect this change. 

An assistant professor was arrested Wednesday night after allegedly beating his wife in front of a 10-year-old boy he had locked in a dog cage. 

John Froiland, 48, confronted his wife in their home when she came home from a shopping trip at around 4:30 p.m., Chief Deputy Terry Ruley said in a Friday phone call.

Froiland was upset about not knowing where his wife had been all day, so he grabbed her and held her against the wall, she told police.

He and the victim then moved into another vicinity of the house, where Froiland allegedly put the child he was disciplining into a dog crate, Ruley said. Ruley said he didn't want to comment on the boy's relationship to Froiland. 

He then broke off the leg of a wooden rocking chair and allegedly struck her with it across both arms in front of the child. 

The responding officer reported purple and red bruising and welts covering the victim's arms when he arrived at the residence, Ruley said.

Froiland then took the victim's phone so she couldn't call police, Ruley said.

Froiland teaches three sections of Educational Psychology 235, Learning and Motivation. One of those sections is for early education students and focuses on childhood, and another is for secondary education students and focuses on adolescence, according to the course catalog.

He was booked into the Tippecanoe County Jail Wednesday night on preliminary charges of domestic battery, intimidation, criminal confinement, interference with reporting a crime and neglect of a dependent, according to the Tippecanoe County jail logs. He has since been released on a $500 bond, according to the logs. 

Purdue spokesperson Tim Doty said he will look into the situation. The article will be updated when more information is available.