11/4/14 Election Results, Tom Busch

Judge Tom Busch speaks with reporters after being reelected on Tuesday at the County House.

After a new U.S. immigration policy was implemented in April resulting in federal authorities separating children from their parents, Tippecanoe Judge Tom Busch was moved to begin volunteering with the Lafayette Urban Ministry Immigration Clinic.

According to a LUM press release, Busch lives in West Lafayette with his wife, Kathy. He and Kathy are retired and have three grown children. Their son lives in New York City, one daughter lives in Italy and their other daughter, San Francisco.

His love of his family and seeing them often was the reason he decided to retire from the bench in Tippecanoe Circuit Court in 2017 after 15 years.

Busch is senior judge here, serving when needed. Busch said in the release, "The LUM Immigration Clinic is essential and doing very important work. It would be great if others would step up and volunteer because there is a lot of work to be done."

With LUM, Busch has been assigned two "permission to stay" cases so far. One is a petition for "U nonimmigration" status and the second is an attempt to get asylum. 

Busch has also donated to the clinic financially.

Susan Brouillette, the LUM Immigration Clinic director, said of Busch, "His reputation as a fair, methodical and hard-working lawyer and judge is unparalleled. We are so fortunate to have him serving this community in another meaningful and needed way through the LUM Immigration Clinic."

You, too, can support the LUM Immigration Clinic and other services in upcoming events:

Immigration Clinic Port of Hope

When: 5:30-8 p.m. Nov. 8

Where: Lafayette Brewing Co., 622 Main St. Lafayette

Cost: $40 per person

Turkey Trot 5K Run (runners needed)

When: Nov. 22. 8 a.m. start time.

Where: Cattail Trail Loop, Celery Bog Nature Area

Parking: Walmart, West Lafayette

Cost: $35 per person | $10 youth registration

Greater Lafayette Interfaith Community Thanksgiving Celebration (donate and volunteer)

When: Noon-2 p.m. Nov. 22

Where: Central Presbyterian Church, 31 N. 7th St., Lafayette

Cost: Free.