10/21/19 Richard Chan

Richard Chan

A student in Sigma Tau Gamma has been accused of raping a woman at a fraternity event Saturday night, according to a Facebook post by the Clinton County Sheriff's Department.

The sheriff's office was initially contacted by St. Elizabeth Hospital Emergency Room in regards to the sexual assault, according to a Facebook post by the Clinton County Sheriff's Office.

The assault occurred on County Road 0 N.S., according to the post.

The fraternity released a media statement Monday evening via email.

"On October 20, 2019, Sigma Tau Gamma Headquarters Staff learned of a report of a Title IX allegation involving a former associate member of the Beta Theta Chapter at Purdue University," the statement reads. "Due to the allegations, the associate member has received notice of removal from the organization. The chapter has been placed on Cease & Desist by Sigma Tau Gamma Headquarters Staff to support the university's investigation into the allegation."

Sigma Tau Gamma is currently on organizational probation for both alcohol and endangerment until Jan. 1, 2020, according to the Office of Student Rights and Responsibilities' website on organizations on active disciplinary sanctions.

The woman was sexually assaulted while at the event, according to the post.

After obtaining information on Richard Chan, officers located him at his West Lafayette residence. Chan cooperated with law enforcement and after an interview was arrested for rape, a level 3 felony, according to the post.

Chan is currently a freshman in the College of Engineering, according to the Purdue directory.  

The president of the Interfraternity Council, Nathan Longo, released the following statement Monday afternoon in an email.

"The fraternity chapter has been temporarily suspended during the investigation process," he said. "All chapter activities have been ordered to cease, and all members are expected to comply fully will all investigation efforts. The health and safety of our members and guests is a priority. We as a community stay fully committed to the sexual assault prevention and education to prevent incidents like this from occurring."

President of Sigma Tau Gamma Logan Kramer referred The Exponent to the fraternity's national headquarters for comment. The headquarters did not respond to request for comment immediately on Monday afternoon.