8/17/19 Hub on Campus

The Hub on Campus sits on State Street on Aug. 17.

After delaying move-in early Saturday morning, the Hub on Campus notified its tenants late Saturday night that it had passed a previously failed final inspection and tenants could begin to move in.

New tenants were notified around 9 p.m. Friday night via email that the property failed to receive its Certificate of Occupancy from West Lafayette due to fire alarms, strobes and elevators not working properly, according to Chad Spitznagle, building commissioner for West Lafayette. As a result, the Hub on Campus is “no longer going to be able to offer move-in at the currently scheduled time on Aug. 17,” the email stated.

A Certificate of Occupancy is the final inspection for the building. Without the certificate, tenants are unable to occupy the building, according to the West Lafayette website.

As of 8 a.m. Saturday, the general contractor for the Hub on Campus had been provided an updated “punch list to be completed in order to receive our certificate of occupancy,” according to an email update.

According to the email, inspectors planned to arrive at 5 p.m., and the inspection would take several hours to complete.

On Saturday night, around 11 p.m., the Hub on Campus passed the certification needed to allow tenants to move in, according to Spitznagle and Sheena Carpenter, regional manager of Core Spaces. 

At around 6 p.m. on Sunday, tenants in the Hub’s lobby were submitting complaints that power outlets and locks were not working in their units.

Earlier this month, Muinzer Management announced it would be unable to finish the 300 W. State St. apartments by the intended Aug. 15 move-in date.

According to previous Exponent reporting, the management company will provide temporary and comparable housing while the building is completed. Consequently, some tenants were placed in Campus Edge on Pierce.