10/4/18 Bird stock images, full body action

The city of West Lafayette decided to better monitor electric scooters after the machines littered sidewalks around campus last year.

West Lafayette officials approved two new electric scooter companies offering their wares to the city: Gotcha and Spin. 

Now approved, the scooter companies are free to begin distribution of its units. Bird, the electric scooter Goliath that landed here last year, has yet to submit an application for licensing. 

According to agenda documents for today's Board of Public Works meeting, each company will be limited to 150 scooters within the city's limits. 

Gotcha and Spin provide a familiar model to companies such as Bird, offering a pay-as-you-go model with a $1 unlock fee and 15 cents per minute after.

Gotcha is "committed to providing multiple shared mobility solutions in municipalities and at universities across the country, available for rental through a single app for maximum convenience," Gotcha's application says. 

Gotcha and Spin will also bring their own in-house fleet teams with onsite community managers. Gotcha, which says it is active in 40 areas, including both cities and universities, will call on a fleet of Gotcha-branded vehicles to "rebalance the system, recharge batteries, perform hub maintenance and repair devices," the application reads. 

Spin workers will also check each scooter every morning and have an in-house repair team at a local facility, according to Spin's application.  The community manager will oversee an operations manager, who will manage the fleet team as they collect, charge and perform maintenance, among other tasks. 

Gotcha will operate from 6 a.m. to 9 p.m., and Spin will operate from 7 a.m. to 9 p.m. Scooters will be collected at night and be redistributed in the morning hours.