5/16/18 Tippecanoe County Courthouse

A girl adopted from the Ukraine in 2010 and diagnosed with a form of dwarfism was set up in a Lafayette apartment and abandoned in another Lafayette apartment after her adoptive parents legally changed her age and moved to Canada in 2013, according to court documents.

Kristine Elizabeth Barnett, 45, and Michael P. Barnett, 43, now listed in documents as living at two different Indianapolis addresses, are each charged with two counts of felony neglect of a dependent, according to probable cause affidavits filed Wednesday.

The abandoned girl first spoke with Tippecanoe County officers in 2014, the affidavits say. She told officers she has a form of dwarfism called spondyloepiphyseal and lived with the Barnetts for two years in Hamilton County.

She said the Barnetts left her in an apartment on North 11th Street in Lafayette and moved the rest of their family to Canada, paying only for her rent. Documents say she left Tippecanoe County in 2016, but they do not say when the Barnetts apparently returned to the country or what has happened to Natalia since she was abandoned or since she left Lafayette.

Peyton Manning Children's Hospital records show that doctors estimated her age to be about 8 in 2010 and 11 in 2012.

Police say Michael Barnett admitted on Sept. 5 that they had her age legally changed to 22 in 2012 and prompted her to tell people she was 22 but that she merely looked young. He also admitted leaving her here in 2013, knowing she was a minor.

Court records indicate motions for no-contact orders have been filed for both.