8/17/17 West Lafayette police

Update: 11:58 a.m. Tuesday

Lt. Jon Eager was unable to comment on the motive of the shooter due to his age. Eager was also unable to comment on how the shooter obtained a gun and if he knew the victims prior to the shooting. 

Update 8:47 p.m. Monday

A 15-year-old male has been arrested and is now in Tippecanoe County Juvenile Detention Center on charges of aggravated battery, battery resulting in serious bodily injury and battery by means of a deadly weapon on two counts in relation to the Hub shooting.

The suspected shooter is not being identified because he is a minor.

Update: 4 p.m. Monday

Police were called to The Hub on Campus at 2:12 a.m. Sunday for a reported shooting that left two men injured, according to West Lafayette Police Department Lt. Jon Eager.

The shooting happened on the rooftop of the recently built apartment complex located at the intersection of State and Salisbury streets, he said. The victims, Treveontae Boyd, 18, and Yeriyah Taylor, 20, were neither Purdue students nor tenants of the Hub but are residents of Tippecanoe County.

While Boyd has been released from the hospital, he's since been arrested due to a warrant for his arrest stemming back from a theft in February 2019, according to court documents and Eager. Boyd is currently in the Tippecanoe County Jail on a $1,000 bond. 

Eager said when police arrived around 15 to 20 people were scattering from The Hub.

There is no longer any threat to the area, Eager said. "This was not some random shooting," he said, but rather an altercation between groups.

Eager didn't know if the suspect and the victims knew each other.

A Purdue alert released around 3 a.m. described one suspect "as a short white male with long curly hair wearing a black sweatshirt."

A WLPD press release said police located the first victim upon arriving at the scene. Eager said one of the victims was located not on the roof, but on the penthouse level of the building.

While Boyd has been released from Indiana University Health Arnett Hospital, he's since been arrested due to a warrant for his arrest stemming back from a theft in February 2019, according to court documents and Eager. Boyd is currently in the Tippecanoe County Jail on a $1,000 bond.

An ambulance took Taylor to St. Elizabeth Hospital. Both victims had sustained gunshot wounds in the lower extremities, Eager said.

Taylor is at St. Elizabeth Hospital and has not been released as of Monday afternoon, according to Eager.

Anyone with information on the shooting is encouraged by WLPD to contact the WeTip hotline at 1-800-78-CRIME or contact WLPD directly at 765-775-5200.

This story will be updated as more information becomes available.