6/27/19 Markeon Devine

A Purdue student drove a stolen car to hide with family in Chicago after robbing a Circle K employee at gunpoint in March, according to court documents filed this week. 

In the early morning hours of March 5, 22-year-old Markeon Devine made his way to the Circle K off of Sagamore Parkway in a car he took from his friend, according to a probable cause affidavit. 

Devine allegedly approached an employee with his face covered and pulled a gun from his coat pocket before making demands for money. The employee refused to give Devine any money at first, but Devine then cocked the gun and again demanded money. The employee retrieved money from the cash register and safe and gave it to Devine, police said. 

Shortly after the initial incident, the employee described Devine to police, who began setting up a perimeter when West Lafayette officer Kevin Flynn noticed a man driving a car that matched the employee's description. 

Officers stopped the vehicle and asked the man to exit the car, but Devine quickly drove toward the officers, through a residential yard and into a utility pole, the documents say. The damaged car eventually stopped on Lindberg Road, and Devine ran away. 

The owner of the car was later identified to be the roommate of a friend who had been visiting Devine. The friend had parked it in the lot outside Devine's apartment. While the friend fell asleep watching movies in Devine's apartment, Devine reportedly snuck out and took the car to perform the robbery, all without the friend knowing until Devine returned after evading police, according to the affidavit.

Devine's roommate later told officers that the morning after the robbery, Devine had asked the roommate to drive him to family in Chicago. Once in Chicago, the roommate overheard Devine telling family of the day's events. 

Purdue spokesman Tim Doty confirmed Thursday that Devine had been a student in the spring but will not be enrolled in the fall semester. Purdue's directory lists Devine as a student in the College of Health and Human Sciences.

Other Tippecanoe County court records show Devine as the defendant in eviction proceedings in December for rent non-payment.

Devine is in the Tippecanoe County Jail on a $50,000 bond for robbery while armed with a firearm and is scheduled to appear in court on July 12.