Art is found in many forms, and for sculptor Jason Bord, art is found in nature. Bord is carving a 15-foot ash tree which will be displayed at the Tippecanoe County Amphitheater Park as part of the first project done for the Tippecanoe County Public Art Team.

“My connection to art has been tied to a tradition of labor and to the natural environment,” said Bord.

Tetia Lee, the executive director of the Tippecanoe Arts Federation, said that the goal of this project was to form a roadmap for the art center and join together art groups and the community. The team chose Bord because they felt his use of wood as a medium would be fitting for the park and that his work was profound.

Bord said that he has been creating artwork for as long as he can remember. He received his bachelor’s degree in sculpture from Ball State and his master’s degree in sculpture from the Herron School of Art and Design. He has sculptures displayed in Indiana, Michigan, Wisconsin and Minnesota. Bord uses wood and subtractive tools, such as gouges, chainsaws and grinders, to create his work.

“My attraction to the outdoors directly affects my material choices and work made,” said Bord. “I’m interested in natural materials used to create something unnatural and the tension that it creates.”

He said he also enjoys working with wood because he likes to give second life to dead materials like trees and wants to portray awareness of environmental, human and animal rights in his work.

His sculpture for the Tippecanoe County Amphitheater Park is being created using a chainsaw to make flowing, organic line patterns. His pieces that are created with a chainsaw usually only take a few days to complete, making them the quickest of his projects.

“The sculpture will be abstract at its core, allowing the viewers to take in its size and formal qualities, therefore going on their own conceptual journey with the work of art,” said Bord. “The marks I make will be curved in creation due to the nature of the chainsaw, which can be a surprisingly delicate tool that moves quickly and gently throughout the composition.”

The dedication for the sculpture will be taking place at 11 a.m. on Nov. 7 at the Tippecanoe County Amphitheater Park. The sculpture will remain at the park as a representation of art in the community.

“The execution and dedication of this piece of artwork underlines the significance that art plays in a well-rounded community that is seeking to not only exist, but to thrive,” said Lee.