You won’t find Miss America here at Purdue, but thanks to the Asian Student Union Board (ASUB), a Mr. Asia will be crowned on campus Saturday.

Starting at 6 p.m. in the Loeb Playhouse at the Stewart Center, eight hopeful contestants from various Asian organizations will compete for the title of Mr. Asia at Purdue. Five other Asian cultural performances will also be included in the event.

The Asian Pageant held by ASUB, an umbrella organization for most Asian groups on campus, has taken place at Purdue for the past five years and alternates between Mr. and Miss Asia each year. This year, the pageant will consist of a talent portion, a cultural attire portion and a question and answer portion. There will be one elimination round after the talent round, after which five of the eight contestants will continue on to the attire portion.

Max Do, a senior in the College of Technology, is the coordinator for the show. He is excited for the talent portion of the pageant.

“I am most excited about seeing all the contestants perform and show off their talents that most people don’t know about them,” Do said.

The contestants in the pageant will include Ji Woong Jeong from the Asian-American Association, Phil O’Brien from the Hapa Student Association, Suguru Motooka from the Japanese Student Association, Jonathan Ting from Lambda Phi Epsilon, Patrick Mangan from the Purdue Filipino Association, Brendon Meknavin from the Purdue University Thai Student Association, Robert Niimi from the Society of Asian Scientists and Engineers and Thomas Le from the Vietnamese Student Association.

Interspersed between the competition rounds and a ten minute intermission there will be four Asian cultural performances and a band which will open for the show. Groups performing will include Haka – a Polynesian dance group, Viet Mua – a traditional Vietnamese folk dance, Akdphi – a group which will be doing a Greek stroll to a variety of Asian pop songs, Pandanggo – performing a mix of traditional dances from the Philippines and the band Ehdb.

According to Tamara Dizon, a junior in the College of Technology and president of ASUB, the show will be exciting for anyone who wants to attend.

“I think all the acts are pretty great, based off rehearsal. I think everyone will enjoy it.”

Save for a few of the musical performances, the show will be presented in English. Two ASUB members, Julie Drake and Albert Sze will be hosting the pageant. Tickets will be sold outside of HSSE from 12:30- 5:30 p.m. today for $6 and will be sold for $8 at the door on the night of the pageant.