The Rev. Jim Barnett will be remembered during extended funeral arrangements for him on Wednesday near Chicago.

Barnett, 80, died on Friday. He served St. Thomas Aquinas Church at Purdue in the mid 2000s.

Arrangements will start at 8:45 a.m., Wednesday at St. Vincent Ferrer Church, 1530 Jackson Ave., River Forest, Illinois. Barnett's body will arrive at the church at 9 a.m. followed by a sung Morning Prayer at 10 a.m. The funeral Mass will start at 11 a.m.

There will be luncheon at Kyte Hall at the church.

Burial will be at All Saints Cemetery in Des Plaines, Illinois, following the luncheon.

Smith-Corcoran Funeral Home, 6150 N. Cicero Ave., Chicago, is handling the arrangements.

EARLIER COVERAGE:

A priest who served at St. Thomas Aquinas in the early 2000s died early Friday afternoon in Chicago.

The Rev. Jim Barnett, 80, died at approximately 12:50 p.m., Friday. Services are pending. He served the Catholic parish in his later years of service and visited St. Tom's several times thereafter.

Fr. Barnett was a priest in the Dominican order. During his career he served in various parishes and assignments in the Central Province. He was particularly active in the Roman Catholic Church's social justice outreach.

He survived multiple bouts of cancer over the years and had been put on hospice just in the last couple of weeks.