A Varied Daily Routine Will Make You Happier.
- unbranded - Lifestyle
A new study has shown that visiting more places and getting a variety of experiences can lead to greater levels of happiness. Researchers tracked the GPS location of 132 participants' phones over the course of three to four months. They found that the people who went to the most places were more likely to feel happy or excited. Those who participated in the study were based in New York or Miami and reported how they were feeling each day via text. MRI scans revealed that people with more variety saw increased brain activity in areas associated with novelty and reward. "Our results suggest that people feel happier when they have more variety in their daily routines - when they go to novel places and have a wider array of experiences," says Assistant Professor Catherine Hartley, New York University. However, it’s also possible that positive feelings can push people to seek more varied experiences. The study’s authors say that the findings show the beneficial consequences of having a varied environment. A previous study found that rats were also happier as a result of varied experiences and play.
- Police: Battle Ground man escapes handcuffs after meth arrest
- Track & field ends season with NCAA action this week
- Purdue to replace BoilerKey with new login system
- Smoke from Canadian wildfires affects air quality statewide
- Purdue Global school to receive new name
- Michigan man charged after Lafayette carjacking in January
- Homeless man charged in Lafayette stabbing
- Stefanovic announces new gig with Purdue coaching staff
Success! An email has been sent to with a link to confirm list signup.
Error! There was an error processing your request.