Mount Rushmore of Purdue coaches

From left to right: Devon Brouse, Adam Soldati, Carolyn Peck and Gene Keady.

Devon Brouse

Most people couldn’t guess what sport Devon Brouse coaches, but anyone in the golf world knows his name. As the women’s golf coach and former men’s golf coach, Brouse knows how to get the best out of his golfers. He guided the women’s team to a 2010 NCAA championship, a second place finish in 2011 and helped guide Maria Hernandez to an individual NCAA championship in 2009. Furthermore, he led the women’s program to eight consecutive top-10 finishes in the NCAA tournament. He has coached eight Big Ten Golfers of the Year, eight Big Ten Freshmen of the Year and 35 All-Big Ten golfers. He was named the Golfweek and National Golf Coaches Association National Women’s Coach of the Year in 2006 and 2010 and has been the Big Ten Coach of the Year five times.

He is the only coach to be inducted into the Golf Coaches Association of America’s Hall of Fame for both men’s and women’s golf. He not only coaches the women’s team but also oversees operations for the Birck Boilermaker golf complex. He oversaw the recent redesign of the Ackerman-Allen golf course. Brouse’s name holds weight in college golf and his success shouldn’t be overlooked.

Carolyn Peck

As one of three basketball coaches to bring Purdue an NCAA team championship, Carolyn Peck had a short stint at Purdue. In West Lafayette for only two seasons, Peck made the most of her time here with the roster she was given. In the 1997-98 season, she led the Boilermakers to a 23-10 record and an Elite Eight appearance. After deciding to leave for the expanding WNBA, Peck stayed for just one more season at Purdue.

With just one regular season loss, the Boilermakers dominated the NCAA tournament, winning all six games by at least 10 points and claiming the national championship by 17 points. That championship was Purdue’s second in school history and is the only women’s basketball championship won by a Big Ten program. She was named the AP Women’s Basketball and Naismith College Coach of the Year in 1999.

Adam Soldati

The diving coach lays low at Purdue, but Adam Soldati has had monumental success with the Boilermakers. Doubling down as a USA Diving coach, Soldati is one of the best coaches in the nation when it comes to diving. He has trained 12 NCAA champions and 17 Big Ten champions and has been named Coach of the Year in the NCAA five times and in the Big Ten eight times.

Soldati has coached David Boudia and Steele Johnson on the men’s side and Casey Matthews on the women’s side, all of whom were All-Americans at Purdue. He develops not only incredible divers but also incredible students, trianing 40 Academic All-Big Ten divers and two Academic All-Americans. Soldati sets the standard for a well-rounded coach, and he sets it high.

Gene Keady

The 25-year head men’s basketball coach has as impressive of a resume as any of the others on this list. He was named Big Ten Coach of the Year a record seven times, is the winningest men’s basketball coach at Purdue, second-winningest coach in Big Ten history and leads the program in NCAA tournament appearances with 17. Under him, the program won six Big Ten championships, reached the Elite Eight twice and the Sweet Sixteen five times.

The court at Mackey Arena is rightfully named Keady Court, as he brought the program into the national spotlight. He coached Glenn Robinson, a two-time All-American and first overall pick in the 1994 NBA Draft, and has a prominent coaching tree, having impacted not only the players but also the assistants at Purdue. He brought on current head coach Matt Painter as an associate head coach for a season before handing the program over to him. Other notable coaches he mentored while at Purdue were Bruce Weber, Kevin Stallings, Steve Lavin and Cuonzo Martin.