Purdue students, the League of Women Voters would like to remind you that no matter what changes ensue for the future, we cannot forfeit our democracy along the way. Your voice needs to be heard through your vote.

Since the Indiana Primary was moved to June 2, Indiana residents may still register to vote until May 4. Indiana students verify your voter registration.

You can do this in your browser at ‘VOTE411 Indiana’. If you are not registered you may do so online through the state information provided with an Indiana drivers’ license. Do it now!

All Indiana registered voters may request an absentee ballot (vote by mail) for the Primary Election. The deadline to request the application is May 21. Call the County Board of Elections where you are registered and request your absentee ballot ASAP. If you are voting absentee in any county in Indiana, the completed ballot needs to be returned by noon on June 2 to the appropriate County Board of Elections.

If you plan to vote in person, early voting begins May 26 and only lasts until Noon June 1. Each Indiana County will have different voting guidelines so contact your County for the latest information. Don’t forfeit your vote.

VOTE411 can help you make important decisions about who to vote for. Go to ‘VOTE411 Indiana’ to enter your address and find out who is on your ballot. Learn about the candidates through their own responses regarding important issues. Become an informed voter. Make your voice heard!

Covid-19 will pass in time and lifestyles and routines may change but to keep our country intact as a Democracy, we need to participate in our free and fair elections. The local, state and federal elections all matter. PLAN to VOTE! VOTE411 can help.

-Joanne Evers, a member of the League of Women Voters