Amy Coney Barrett has been nominated by Donald Trump for the U.S. Supreme Court. Her nomination, if approved, would continue to add fuel to Trump’s divisive and radical agenda. Barrett does not represent the best interest of this country and the kind of future we want to build.

As a teacher, I find Barrett’s lack of empathy for the very people that her position should be protecting alarming. The Supreme Court is supposed to serve ALL of the people, but Barrett’s record shows that she consistently disregards those communities that don’t fit with her narrow personal and religious viewpoints, such as women experiencing sexual harassment, the LGBTQ community, workers, individuals in the criminal justice system, immigrants and those needing access to quality health care. Her inability to separate those views from the law and Constitution make her an extremely poor choice for this position.

Now is the time to take action and make your voice heard. Reach out to Hoosier senators Mike Braun and Todd Young and tell them why you’re opposed to this nomination. We must work together to promote justice and equal rights for all of our citizens, and Amy Coney Barrett has proven time and time again that she is unable to do that in a fair and impartial way. We deserve better and it is crucial that we fill this position with someone who understands the life and death consequences of these decisions for our lives and for the future of this country.

—Nicole McCabe, limited-term lecturer in education