10/25/17 Maryland, Breana Robbins

Sophomore midfielder Breana Robbins is taken down inside the penalty against Maryland Wednesday evening at Folk Field. 

Tied for seventh in its finale game of the season, the Purdue soccer team defeated Maryland, 2-0, at Folk Field to qualify for the Big Ten tournament. 

The Purdue (10-6-2, 4-4-2) offense came out firing in the first half, amassing nine shots in the opening period. Maryland (7-8-3, 1-8-2), whose offense came out in slow motion, collected only four. 

The Boilers' season-saving goal came courtesy of senior forward Maddy Williams in the 13th minute.

Williams scored again in the 78th minute to give the Boilers the coveted two-goal lead. It was Williams' 14th goal of the season, giving her sole possession of the single-season scoring title. The goal also gave Williams her 34th point of the season, another Purdue single-season record.

Senior goalkeeper Erika Yohn made her second consecutive save and held Maryland to a blank sheet. She made 4 saves to keep the Terrapins off the scoreboard, bring her two game total to an impressive 13 saves. 

After tonight's result, the Boilers likely finish the regular season in the eighth and final slot in the Big Ten Tournament. If this holds, Purdue will take on Big Ten-leader Ohio State, who finished with a record of 9-2. The Boilers did not play the Buckeyes in the regular season.

Check out Thursday's edition of The Exponent for more on Wednesday's game.