1/10/15 Maryland, Matt Painter, Greg Gary

Purdue coaches Matt Painter and Greg Gary give instructions to players on Saturday at Mackey Arena

The Mercer University men's basketball program announced today via Twitter that Purdue assistant coach Greg Gary will become the team's new head coach following the end of the Boilermakers' NCAA tournament run, per a Mercer press release.

"This is such an incredible opportunity and I am both grateful and honored to have been selected as the head men's basketball coach at Mercer University," Gary said in the press release. "My family and I could not be more thrilled to have joined the Mercer basketball family and we look forward to joining the Macon community."

Gary is in his eighth season as an assistant coach for the Boilermakers, primarily working with wing and post players. While at Purdue, he helped develop Vincent Edwards, Dakota Mathias, Rapheal Davis and current senior Ryan Cline.

"Mercer is getting a very good person and coach in Greg Gary," Purdue head coach Matt Painter said in the release. "Coach Gary has been a big part of our success over the last eight years. He is an excellent teacher of the game and will bring the right student-athletes to enable Mercer to be successful on and off the court."