2/27/19 Spring Football Practice; Nick Holt

Defensive players wait for directions given by co-defensive coordinator Nick Holt. 

Brohm & Co. hit the field for day two of fifteen spring sessions without pads. The team goes to full pads for day three of practices on Friday.

Defense

Markus Bailey was made available for media today, where he primarily explained the hip surgery he underwent in January for an issue he's had for years. The fifth-year linebacker will miss the entirety of spring practices, but is very ahead of schedule in the recovery process.

Freshman safety Jalen Graham again made a name for himself at practice, picking off quarterback Aidan O'Connell to fire up the whole defensive unit. Co-defensive coordinator and linebackers coach Nick Holt had high praise for the new freshman.

"(Graham) does not look out of place with the 1s," Holt said. "In fact, (he) looks better than some of our other 1s, quite honestly."

Offense

Sophomore lineman Viktor Beach did not participate for unknown reasons. In his place, freshman newcomer Spencer Holstege was getting reps at center. Also getting reps with the first team on the line was redshirt freshman Jimmy McKenna at left guard.

Expect to hear more about switches along the line. It is arguably the weakest position group heading into next year, which will have offensive line coach Dale Williams testing out a number of combinations to see who will be ready for a tough, physical Big Ten schedule.

The backup quarterback battle is underway, and redshirt freshman Jack Plummer was working with the ones at the end of practice, along with Sindelar. Similar to the line, both Plummer and sophomore Nick Sipe will split reps behind the fifth-year starter during spring practices. The competition will go on for awhile, so there likely will be fewer updates unless one of the two is injured.

Toward the end of practice, redshirt freshman Amad Anderson Jr. injured his practice during a simulated game drill, but it didn't look serious. He limped off the field on his own power, but participated in the rest of practice.

Star sophomore wide receiver Rondale Moore rejoined the team after missing the start due to sickness. Fifth-year tight end Brycen Hopkins also returned to practice after missing the first day.

Fan Information

Purdue's spring practices are free and open to the public. Typically from 4 p.m. - 6 p.m., fans can watch the team practice at Mollenkopf Athletic Center (indoors) or Bimel Practice Complex (outdoors), depending on the weather. No photos, videos or social media is allowed.

The annual Spring Game is set for noon on April 6 in Ross-Ade Stadium and will be televised on BTN.