8/17/18 Purdue 3, Eastern Michigan 0, Kylie Hase

Sophomore midfielder/forward Kylie Hase and her opponent call for a timeout in a game against Eastern Michigan in August.

Kylie Hase: That’s a name you won’t soon forget from Purdue soccer. The sophomore midfielder has been playing well all season long, following up a freshman campaign that saw her play every game, win Big Ten Offensive Player of the Week once and Big Ten Freshman of the Week twice.

This weekend was reminiscent of last season for her, despite the Boilermakers going 1-for-2 on the weekend. While besting Georgia 1-0, the freshman-laden team couldn’t hold up with No. 15 South Carolina on Saturday, dropping its first game of the season.

Purdue (3-1-1) went into the weekend undefeated and looking to pull off a major upset. Against the Bulldogs, the Boilers put up six shots, four on goal and netted one — a 76th-minute score from Hase, her second of the 2018 season, on a cross from sophomore midfielder Hannah Melchiorre.

Sophomore goalkeeper Katie Luce played all 90 minutes, facing nine shots and making three saves. She has played every minute of all five games this season in the net.

The shutout was head coach Drew Roff’s 150th win in just his fourth season with Purdue, with his record growing to 150-92-7 for the Boilermakers after the weekend split.

Riding the momentum from the win into Saturday’s game against the Gamecocks was helpful through the first half, but couldn’t be sustained the full 90 minutes.

Defense prevailed in the first half, as Luce saved five of 10 shots, sending Purdue into halftime tied with South Carolina. The Boilermakers were able to put only one shot toward the net as they struggled to make any offensive progress.

In the 68th minute, USC’s Jyllissa Harris broke the scoring drought to put the Boilers down a goal. Fourteen minutes later, the Gamecocks doubled their lead with a goal from Elexa Bahr.

Potentially facing its first loss and shutout of the season, Purdue remained goalless until Hase came in to break open the scoring with a late, 89th-minute shot on a pass from sophomore midfielder Sarah Clark. Hase has now scored in three straight games for the Boilermakers, with two coming in the remaining two minutes of a game on a pass from Clark.

The loss was Purdue’s first to a top-25 ranked team since October 2016, when the Boilers fell to No. 16 Penn State.

This weekend, the team hosts a pair of matches, playing Louisville at 7 p.m. Thursday at Folk Field. The Cardinals are unranked, but received 29 votes in last week’s NCAA rankings. Second up will be Western Michigan at 1 p.m. Sunday, also at Folk Field.