3/28/18 NCAA Tournament, Texas Tech, Isaac Haas

Isaac Haas walks off the court following the 65-78 loss to Texas Tech. Haas did not play in his final game with Purdue. 

Purdue men’s basketball center Isaac Haas has been accused in a civil lawsuit of infecting a partner with a sexually transmitted disease.

The female partner suing Haas for $1 million in damages alleges that Haas lied about having contracted the disease.

Alyssa Chambers, the female partner, claims that she and Haas engaged in a brief sexual relationship on or about May 15, 2017, while both were Purdue students. Chambers found out she had been infected two weeks later, according to court documents.

Haas told Chambers he had previously contracted chlamydia but had sought treatment and was clean during their sexual encounter, she alleges. Haas blamed Purdue University Student Health Services for telling him that he was clean, according to the court filings that included text messages between Haas and Chambers.

Chlamydia is the most common of the testable sexually transmitted diseases, Purdue spokesman Brian Zink said in an email, but noted that Purdue students tend to have fewer rates than other populations in the 18- to 22-year-old range.

Chambers then texted with a former partner of Haas’ (referred to here as Jane Doe), according to the court documents, and was told Haas had not been “formally tested.” Doe told Chambers that she did not find out about Haas’ STD until Haas and Doe were six months into their relationship, according to text messages included in the lawsuit.

In conversations between Doe and Haas, the Purdue center revealed his concern that he would “have to pay for (his) actions ... either in money, or a charge,” according to exhibits in the court filing.

Haas was concerned enough to ask Doe to “talk (Chambers) down,” and wrote “putting (Haas) in jail isn’t going to do anything, but ruin other people’s lives and put HER (Chambers’) name in public conversations of being infected with herpes. Because all criminal files are public information.”

“And if the media gets ahold of that, then not only will it blow up, but her name will be all over it too,” Haas wrote to Doe.

Chambers was diagnosed with herpes simplex virus, according to the court documents; the lawsuit further claims that members of the Athletics Department attempted to contact her through a “third-party intermediary for the purpose of discrediting (Chambers’) claims.”

The court filings also show that Chambers believes Haas got “off-the-books” treatment for his STD because Doe told her in a message exchange, “he has never been tested. perks of being an athlete, the doctor just gives you meds. he told you he was tested so you would sleep with him ... because he can say ‘he didn’t know,’” according to exhibits in the lawsuit.

It seems that after Doe found out Haas had been served papers for “preservation of evidence and electronic media, all communications,” she messaged Chambers saying she had heard “via one of the coaches” that her name was mentioned in the papers. Doe told Chambers, “a lot of the stuff you heard from me wasn’t true because I was mad at isaac and i was trying to intentionally f--- with you. just letting you know,” according to the exhibits in the lawsuit.

The lawsuit claims that the above statement from Doe to Chambers “constitutes either an admission of an intentional infliction of emotional harm, or evidence of a conspiracy among, Haas, (Doe), and Purdue coaches to cover up Haas’ knowledge and wrongful conduct.”

Haas completed his senior season with the men’s basketball team after fracturing his elbow against Cal State Fullerton in the first round of the NCAA Tournament.

Attempts to contact lawyers from either party were unsuccessful as of Wednesday night.

Tags