Biochemist, team captain, Big Ten champion: women’s golfer August Kim has worn a number of hats in her time at Purdue.

Now a senior, Kim will graduate this spring with a degree in Biochemistry. Yes, a division I college athlete studying Biochemistry.

“Lots of late nights and doing homework on the road,” Kim said. “But I wouldn’t trade it for the world, I’m very happy with my choices here.”

Coming into the team at a time when there were no other seniors to now being the sole senior on the team has been an experience. She took on leadership roles with the team during her junior year.

“Because we’re such a small team, the leadership kind of melds through all the girls,” she said. “Everyone is a very important part of the equation.”

In addition to her impressive academic record, Kim is one of the most decorated women’s golfers in Purdue history. She won the Big Ten championship as a junior and received All-Big Ten honors in 2016 and 2017, and received the Big Ten Medal of Honor.

Her favorite memories with the team are more than just winning tournaments and playing well; they’re also in the bonds she’s built.

“Just being a part of this team, the culture my team and I have worked really hard to cultivate over the past couple of years,” she said.

Kim will remain at Purdue after graduation to compete with the seventh-seeded Boilermakers in the Big Ten Women’s Golf Regional on May 8-10, after which she plans to join the WPGA circuit.