12/10/17 Ohio, Lamina Cooper

Sophomore guard Lamina Cooper takes a shot as an Ohio player tries to block. She had 18 points on 6 of 12 from the field and 5 of 7 from the line.

The Purdue women's basketball team suffered an unfortunate 77-71 loss against the Ohio Bobcats Sunday at Mackey Arena. 

Before its win today, Ohio was only 5 of 35 against Big Ten opponents, and did not have a win over Purdue since Fb. 6, 1982.

At the half, Purdue (6-5)  had 19 turnovers,and started the second half turning the ball over several more times. When the game was all said and done, the Boilers amassed 33 turnovers.

Every Boilermaker turned the ball over at least once throughout the game.

"(Ohio) jumped passing lanes," head coach Sharon Versyp said. "We didn't handle the ball when they switched. They were aggressive with us. We were just weak with the basketball and then when we would pass the ball we wouldn't move to get open. That is just a lot of effort and pride that didn't happen."

The Bobcats made efficient use of Purdue's mistakes by scoring 36 of their 77 points off of turnovers. 

"It speaks to the importance of us taking things away from (Purdue)." Ohio head coach Bob Boldon said. "We knew that was our only chance was to try and contain them offensively."

The Bobcats (5-3) may have played their best game offensively so far. 

On the year, Ohio was shooting 23 percent from the 3-point line and 35 percent from the field. In today's game they shot at 62.5 percent and 46.6 percent, respectively.  

"We finally shot the ball well." Boldon said. "If you would have watched us last week you would have thought you could just less shoot wide open shots- we haven't shot it particularly well all year."

The Bobcats' scoring was headed by sophomore guard Amani Burke. She talied 17 points and 9 points from the arc.

The Boilermakers' offense was controlled by guards senior Andreona Keys and sophomore Lamina Cooper.

Keys was able to score 20 points with three rebounds and five assists. 

Cooper finished with 18 points making this her third consecutive game in which she has bested her personal best.

Purdue is scheduled to play Eastern Washington at noon on December 17.