5/26/12 NCAA Women's Golf, Alabama Celebrates Title

The Alabama team celebrates after beating Southern California by one stroke to win the NCAA Division I women's golf team championship Friday, May 25, 2012, in Franklin, Tenn. Purdue finished ninth.

The 29th-ranked Purdue women's golf team earned its seventh-straight top-10 finish at the NCAA Championships in its 13th-consecutive appearance under head coach Devon Brouse.

The Boilermakers shot a 299 on the final day, for a four-round total of 1,182 which put them in ninth place.

No. 2 Alabama won the team title, shooting a 294 to hang on to a one-stroke lead with a score of 1,171. It is the first national championship in women's golf for the Crimson Tide. No. 3 Southern California was second, recording a 293 in the final round and a total of 1,172. No. 5 LSU finished third behind a final-round 298 for a score of 1,173.

Oklahoma's Chirapat Jao-Javanil won the individual medal with a six-under par 282. The sophomore from Thailand carded a 70 in the final round to earn a four-stroke victory.

Purdue was playing in the final group for the third-consecutive year, but was unable to match the national championship earned in 2010 or the second place finish last season.

Junior Laura Gonzalez-Escallon was the top finisher for the Boilermakers. She fired a 70 on Friday to tie for third place with a four-round total of 287 (67-76-74-70, -1). The Big Ten Player of the Year also earned third place in last year's NCAA Championships.

"I just wanted to put pressure on the leaders, that was my goal and I think I did that pretty well," Gonzalez-Escallon said. "I played okay. I putted better but I made a few mistakes on the last five or six holes. It was hot, but I had a lot of fun out there."

Paula Reto also carded a 70 in the final round and tied for 14th with a 293 (73-73-77-70, +5).  Freshman Aurora Kan shot a career-low 69 in round three to help Purdue move into a tie for third at the end of the day Thursday. She fired a 79 in the final round, just missing a top-50 finish with a tie for 51st at 299 (77-74-69-79).  Redshirt junior Kishi Sinhawas playing in her second NCAA Championships. She competed as a freshman in 2009. Sinha tied for 77th after carding an 80 on Friday. Her four round total was a 304 (76-72-76-80).

Freshman Vicky Schererfinished 122nd with a score of 317. The Augsburg, Germany, native joined the Boilermakers in January and has steadily improved through the spring. Scherer had a tough final round with an 86, but had carded 79, 76 and 76 in the first three rounds.

The 2012 NCAA Division I Women's Golf Championships was held at the Vanderbilt Legends Golf Club in Franklin, Tenn. The par-72 venue played 6,264-yards for the tournament.

The Boilermakers have no seniors on this year's roster.