Men’s tennis

San Diego Invite

The No. 40 Purdue men’s tennis team traveled to the west coast for three matches from March 20-22 in San Diego, Calif.

In a gauntlet including No. 28 Harvard, No. 32 Memphis, No. 43 Drake, No. 56 Princeton, No. 61 San Diego and No. 73 Denver, the Boilermakers finished with a 2-1 record.

Purdue opened with a 4-1 defeat against San Diego on March 20. After the loss, they won two straight matches against Denver and Princeton.

In the team’s final match, a fifth-place contest against Princeton, the Boilermakers won 4-0.

The doubles point was taken by Purdue, as the duo of Diego Acosta and Aaron Dujovne won an 8-4 decision against Princeton’s team of Alexander Day and Zack McCourt.

Purdue was victorious in the singles point by winning at No. 2, No. 3 and No. 6.

The Boilermakers are now 9-3 overall and 1-1 in the Big Ten.

Women’s tennis

March 14

- at No. 44 Indiana

The women’s tennis team opened spring break play with a 5-2 loss to rival Indiana.

Doubles play was a tightly contested battle, as Purdue and Indiana traded the No. 3 and No. 2 matches of a best-of-three scenario.

The Hoosiers then upset the No. 43 Purdue tandem of Mara Schmidt and Krisztina Kapitany on a break point in an 8-7 (8-6) final score.

In singles play, Indiana led 3-1 before finishing off the Boilers at the No. 5 spot.

March 18

- at No. 25 Arizona State

Purdue fell behind immediately to the Sun Devils in doubles play, as Arizona State won the No. 1 and No. 2 positions.

The Sun Devils handed the Boilermaker team of Natalia Davila and Daniela Vidal their second loss on the year before an unranked Arizona State duo beat Purdue’s No. 43 team of Kapitany and Schmidt.

Purdue was defeated soundly in singles play as Arizona State won the duel with a 4-0 final score.

March 19

- at No. 45 Arizona

The Boilermakers were handed a tough loss on March 19, as Arizona defeated them by a 7-0 score.

In doubles, the Wildcats won at the No. 2 and No. 3 positions to take the point. Purdue’s team of Nicole Robinson and Tess Bernard-Feigenbaum was defeated 8-2 at the No. 2 spot. Another Boilermaker team was held scoreless in an 8-0 blowout.

Purdue lost five of its six singles matches at Arizona in straight sets. The Boilermakers fell to 5-7, 1-2 Big Ten after their trip to the west coast.