4/16/17 Nebraska, Ricky Medinilla

Senior Ricky Medinilla screams after winning a crucial point during Purdue’s matchup at the Schwartz Tennis Center.

Playing outside on a breezy Sunday afternoon, the Purdue men’s tennis team took down conference foe Nebraska 7-0.

After practicing inside all week, playing outdoors was an adjustment for the team.

“There’s a lot of wind here,” said freshman Stephan Koenigsfest. “So once you start playing outside, it’s kind of different. It’s slower. A lot of players in this conference are used to playing inside, and when you play outside it’s a different thing.”

Koenigsfest made quick work of his opponent, Nebraska’s Chris Dean, winning his No. 4 singles match in straight sets, 6-1, 6-1.

“I played really well,” Koenigsfest said. “(Dean) was good, but he probably didn’t feel the ball well because we played outside.”

Purdue’s other freshman, Athell Bennett, also won his No. 5 singles match in straight sets, 6-1, 6-0.

“For singles, I broke (my opponent) early,” Bennett said. “I just used that momentum to carry out and win the match pretty easy.”

Playing outside also meant that Bennett had to “factor in the elements.”

“Indoors you don’t have the sun and the wind, so you can play more free,” he said. “(Outside) you have to be more patient, wait for the right balls to attack, and I definitely think it’s a little harder to play outside.”

Besides Bennett and Koenigsfest, the Boilers won the other four singles matches and the doubles point, claiming all seven points available for the match.

One of the other points was won by senior Lucas Omer Dages, who won in straight sets, 6-2, 6-3. It was Dages’ first match of the season in Big Ten play, and his first career conference win.

“It’s as good a day as any to get (a win),” Dages said. “Better late than never, I guess.”

The Boilermakers will finish their season at 4 p.m. Friday in Minneapolis, Minnesota, and 1 p.m. Sunday in Madison, Wisconsin.