Senior jumper Geoff Davis tied the Purdue school record in the high jump with a leap of 7-05.00 in the Fred Wilt Boilermaker Invitational on Saturday at Lambert Fieldhouse.

Davis started the high jump with a leap of 6-06.75 and easily cleared it on his first attempt. He cleared the next two bars, each on his first attempt. He cleared his personal record, which was 7-03.75, on his first attempt yet again.

The crowd was on their feet and cheering as Davis jumped 7-05.00 on his first attempt once more. He won the event and tied the school record as well as the facility record. Nationally, he is ranked as the No. 6 high jumper.

Head coach Lonnie Greene said he is impressed with how Davis and the rest of the team are competing after winning 17 events Saturday against 12 in-state schools, including IUPUI and Wabash.

“We have improved every week and showed that we are capable of running with people in the Big Ten,” Greene said. “We have the confidence.”

The throwers also had a successful day.

Redshirt junior Dani Bunch finished second in the weight throw and third in the shot put. Her shot put throw of 16.54m would have been a facility record, but Brittany Smith of Illinois State won the event with a throw of 16.93m.

Redshirt freshman Chukwuebuka Enekwechi threw the shot put 18.66m, the fourth-longest in school history, to win the event.

Freshman Coy Blair threw his personal best in the same event at 18.58m to finish second at the meet and moved into fifth place in Purdue history.

Redshirt senior Jakob Engel finished third in the event with a throw of 18.01m, and freshman Jordan Roos took fourth with his personal best of 17.65m.

Junior Ciana Tabb and redshirt freshman Kristin Fritts each had personal records in their events. Tabb ran the 60m hurdles in 8.52 seconds to finish in second place and Fritts won the mile with a time of 5:01.13.

The women’s 4x400m relay team ran their season best with a time of 3:42.54, winning by almost nine seconds.

“I think we are peaking at the right time this season,” said Greene.

Redshirt junior Eric Harris and sophomore Mario Cosey finished first and second in the 200m dash, respectively. Harris won the event in 21.67 seconds and Cosey was right behind him at 22.05 seconds.

The track and field teams will compete next in the Big Ten Indoor Championship on Feb. 22 and 23 in Geneva, Ohio.