5/20/19 women's golf

A trio of standout individual scores led the Purdue women's golf team to an impressive second round at the NCAA Championships as the Boilermakers climbed to seventh place Sunday with a score of two-over par, 294, at The Blessings Golf Club in Fayetteville, Arkansas.

Sophomore Inez Wanamarta is in contention for the NCAA Individual title, shooting three-under 70 in the second round, sitting in fourth place overall and just two shots off the leader, according to a Purdue Sports press release.

Wanamarta made four birdies with only one bogey for the round and posting the No. 4 individual score on the day. After starting with five straight pars on the front nine, she proceeded to go birdie, birdie, birdie on Nos. 6, 7 and 8, before finishing the first half with a par on No. 9. Her lone hiccup of the round came on No. 12, which played as the toughest hole in the round, but she quickly righted the ship with more pars and a birdie on No. 16 to even out her back nine.

Her score of two-under par for the tournament trails individual leader Sierra Brooks of Florida by two strokes, after the Gator shot six-under par in the second round to move to four-under par overall, while Arkansas' Maria Fassi and Arizona's Bianca Pagdanganan are tied for second at three-under par. Fassi and Pagdanganan will be paired for the final round of stroke play Monday as the Razorbacks and Wildcats are tied for fourth in the team standings, while Brooks will be on her own as Florida sits 13th in the team standings.

Boilermaker freshman Danielle du Toit was one-of-23 individuals in the 132-player field to shoot under par Sunday, sinking four birdies on her way to a score of one-under 72. She was perfect on the front nine, making par on the first five holes, dropping consecutive birdie on No. 6 and No. 7, and adding two more pars for a two-under 35 at the turn.

She went back-and-forth on the back nine, sandwiching a birdie on No. 13 with bogeys on 12 and 14, and recovering from a third bogey on No. 16 with a birdie on No. 17. She increased her Purdue freshman record for rounds of par or better to 16, and is now one shy of a mark on the Boilermakers' single-season top-five list in the category.

Senior Ida Ayu Indira Melati Putri shot even-par 73 on Sunday, putting together an amazing stretch of holes over the back nine to carry her team to the clubhouse.

After starting four-over par through the first six holes, including a double bogey on No. 6, Putri rallied to birdie four of her next six holes, and then dropped back-to-back birdies on No. 15 and No. 16 to push under par. She was one-of-six players in the field to make birdie on No. 12 in the second round, and climbed all the way to a tie for 23rd after 36 holes at five-over par for the championship.

Junior Micaela Farah carded the fourth and final team score for Sunday, matching her first round score at six-over 79. She made just one birdie in the round, but it was a big one as her score on No. 16 sparked a late Boilermaker run that kept the Boilers in the top eight heading to the final round of play.

The Boilermakers will play the final round of stroke play alongside Big Ten rival Northwestern, which is eighth overall at 23-over par, and Auburn, which is tied for ninth at 24-over par. The trio is scheduled to tee off at 2:01 p.m., heading off on No. 10.