11/22/13 Football tickets

Tickets for the Purdue football game have been priced under a dollar this season.

Purdue football season ticket holders might be slightly angry if they looked on StubHub this week.

On the ticket exchange site this week, seats are available for as low as 40 cents for the Purdue-Illinois game Saturday, an incredibly small number compared to what many Boilermaker fans paid before the season started.

A small crowd is expected Saturday as Purdue (1-9, 0-6) hosts a struggling Illinois (3-7, 0-6) squad that has not won a Big Ten game since October 2011. Weather conditions won’t help either, with temperatures expected to be around 30 degrees at kickoff.

Trent Weyer, a freshman in college of health and human sciences, paid $250 for the VIP sports pass before the football season started. With a large chunk of that price pertaining to football tickets, Weyer feels frustrated about the dirt cheap secondary market prices.

“It makes me feel terrible and kind of cheated,” Weyer said. “Games have gotten less enjoyable and I usually end up just leaving at halftime.”

The marketing and ticketing department is still trying to figure out how to handle the secondary market when it comes to reduced ticket prices, according to assistant athletics director Chris Peludat.

“We can’t sustain budgets selling tickets at two dollars, or one dollar or whatever it is,” Peludat said. “At some point, it’s one of those things where team performance or overall attendance will have to drive the price the other way.”

Students such as Brittan Leonardo, a sophomore in the school of education, still do not see the value in a 40-cent ticket.

“Since they’re going to lose anyway, I might as well stay at home and do something productive,” Leonardo said.

With the football team going through a rough rebuilding year, attendance has progressively dropped throughout the season. 61,127 people attended the Notre Dame game in September for the largest crowd this fall, while Purdue saw its smallest crowd of the season Saturday against Iowa with only 41,038 in attendance.

Attendance would likely be even worse if it weren’t for Purdue hosting Notre Dame, Nebraska and Ohio State this fall, three of the biggest traveling fanbases in the country.

“The schedule itself may have been one of the best schedules in school history, so that definitely helped in the overall attendance,” Peludat said.

Due to the down year, the marketing and ticketing department is willing to try new things to get attendance back up for coming football seasons.

“We may look to do something different,” Peludat said. “We’re open to listening if students have suggestions.”