ATHENS, Ga. (AP) — Southern California and San Jose State shared the lead at 4-under 284 after the first round of the NCAA Women's Golf Championships on Tuesday.

USC, which won titles in 2003 and '08 and was runner-up in '10 and '12, came in as the top-ranked team in the country, while San Jose State — which last won the title in '92 — was 48th. The Spartans' had their lowest round in 19 appearances in the championships.

San Jose freshman Regan De Guzman led the field at 5-under 67, the school record for the lowest round in the NCAA championship. De Guzman had seven birdies — five on the front nine — and two bogeys.

Annie Park led the Women of Troy with a 2-under 70, while teammates Rachel Morris and Sophia Popov had 71s.

Duke, which won back-to-back-to-back titles from 2005-2007, was in third after a 2-under 286 on the University of Georgia Golf Course, two strokes ahead of five-time defending champion Alabama.

Purdue and UCLA were tied for fifth at 289, followed by Stanford (290), Oklahoma (291), Arizona State (293) and Tulane (295).

The Blue Devils' Celine Boutier and the Crimson Tide's Stephanie Meadow were tied for second, two shots behind De Guzman. Mississippi State's Allie McDonald was tied with Park at 2-under, with 14 players tied for sixth place another shot behind, and 13 tied for 20th at 72.

The tournament continues through Friday.