4/5/14 Iowa, Krisztina Kapitany

Sophomore Krisztina Kapitany prepares to take a serve against Iowa at the Schwartz Tennis Center on Saturday. The Boilermakers beat the Hawkeyes 4-2.

Despite her lifetime involvement in tennis, one Purdue women’s tennis player’s aspirations have always lain outside the court.

Junior Krisztina Kapitany has always had a love for tennis, but that hasn’t stopped her from pursuing her off-the-court interests. The Budapest, Hungary native is an incredibly involved student, having recently picked up a second major at Purdue to go along with her primary management studies. Kapitany’s hard work in the classroom has paid off, as she landed an internship at an oil company in Madrid, Spain this summer.

While Kapitany certainly enjoys the personal gratification she gains from playing tennis, she is a textbook team player. Kapitany is far more concerned with her role as a leader on this year’s Purdue team than her own personal win-loss record.

“For me, it’s about being there for my team and showing them that I’m always giving my best for them. I want to be able to help them out whenever I can,” Kapitany said. “One of the biggest things that motivate(s) me is support, and I feel like if I can show that same support to my teammates, that will motivate them.”

Although Kapitany is only a junior and will have one more year of eligibility left after this season, she’s already looking forward to her life after graduation. As much as she enjoys her time on the court, Kapitany admits she is unlikely to pursue a professional career after graduation, but would still like to remain involved in the game in some capacity.

“From my standing point now, I’m probably going to stop playing tennis when I’m done (at Purdue),” Kapitany said. “I would still love to give lessons because I love kids, but I don’t think I’ll pursue anything professionally.”

Just because Kapitany isn’t planning on playing tennis in the pros doesn’t mean she isn’t continuing to fine-tune her game, as the junior continues to work to do whatever she can to help her team. One of the main things Kapitany is focusing on this season is being aggressive and getting to the net, something head coach Laura Glitz has stressed to her entire squad.

“When we play these teams that are good, they hit the ball hard into the corners. We’ve got to be able to hit big balls back and then on top of that, we’ve got to be way more aggressive,” Glitz said. “We’ve got to get to the net first to be effective.”

Kapitany and the Boilers will be back in action at noon this Sunday, when the team opens Big Ten conference play on the road at No. 23 Northwestern. Purdue will look to make it back-to-back victories over top-25 opponents after toppling No. 25 Tulsa last weekend.