For the first time this season, the men’s golf team returned to its home course for tournament play in West Lafayette, fittingly on Masters weekend.

After 36 holes of team play, the Boilers finished at an overall team score of 15 under, good for second place overall in the men’s team tournament made up of 15 competing teams, mostly from around the Midwest.

Purdue sat one stroke behind the leading team, Illinois State, who won the invitational with an overall team score of 16 under. They did, however, finish one stroke ahead of No. 5 Oklahoma, which shot a team score of 14 under overall.

Individually, Purdue was led by sophomore Jason Hong, who shot back-to-back rounds of 3-under for a total score of 138, which was good enough to be tied for the second lowest overall score out of any player competing in the invitational.

Hong is a proud Australian who has struggled a little bit this season, with an overall stroke average of 75.56, but found his rhythm this weekend.

Additionally, Purdue’s low scorer overall this season, senior Timmy Hildebrand, shot a strong first round of 4-under before a second round of even-par to become Purdue’s second-best finisher.

Another notable score came from sophomore Cole Bradley, who shot rounds of 1-under and 2-under. Bradley is the son of head coach Rob Bradley and is a native of Lafayette.

The overall low rounds of the tournament thus far came from Wisconsin’s Jordan Hahn and Illinois State’s Trent Wallace, who each shot rounds of 5-under.

Purdue led the overall team scores after the first round with a total of 277 before being passed by Illinois State after a second round total of 283.

Last season, Purdue won its own invitational, finishing with an overall score of 3 under, but was unable to repeat as champion of its home tournament.

The tournament was cut short by a day as the third and fourth rounds were washed out by all-day rain on Sunday.

The Boilers return to the course the weekend of April 26 for the Big Ten Golf Championships at the Philadelphia Cricket Club.