1/15/14 Michigan, Courtney Moses

Senior guard Courtney Moses shoots outside the three point line against Michigan on Wednesday at Mackey Arena.

The No. 22 Boilermakers (11-5, 1-3 Big Ten Conference) converted on only 19 of 62 field goal attempts, for a 30.6 shooting percentage. They only made 20 percent of their 3-point attempts (3-for-15).

“We just couldn’t put the ball in the hole,” said Purdue head coach Sharon Versyp. “We had layups; we had open looks.”

The bad shooting couldn’t be put on the shoulders of just one player either. No player shot better than Liza Clemons’ 3-for-6 from the floor, with six players missing at least four shots each.

In a second half where Purdue had somewhat remedied its turnover and defensive rebounding woes of earlier in the game, the Boilermakers could only muster 9-for-38 field goals. Michigan made nine field goals in the half as well, but on 20 less shots.

“You can’t shoot 23 percent in this league and win,” said Versyp referencing her team’s field goal percentage in the second half.

Wolverines make timely buckets

Michigan (12-5, 3-1 Big Ten) began the game on an 8-0 scoring run, and never looked back.

Junior forward Cyesha Goree sparked the team, making most of her eight points in the opening moments of the game on layups. Goree also added a game-high 14 rebounds.

“We made shots early,” Michigan head coach Kim Barnes Arico said. “We’ve been pretty good at starting pretty well all year. I was happy with the way that we came out.”

Even after the great start from the Wolverines, Purdue still seemed poised at points during the second half to make a comeback. Any hopes of one was dashed, however, by Michigan sophomore guard Madison Ristovski.

Seconds after the Boilers had cut the deficit to 47-37, Ristovski nailed a 3-pointer to steal any momentum Purdue had. She did the exact same thing moments after the lead was cut to 54-47, leading to a 7-0 Michigan run that put the game away.

“I thought Madison did a great job of taking those shots and knocking those shots down,” said Arico. “Tonight, she really stepped up and made some big shots for us.”

Moses hits milestone

One of the few positives coming out of Wednesday’s game was Courtney Moses making two 3-pointers to put herself in a tie for second place with former teammate Brittany Rayburn for career 3-point makes (201) in program history.

Moses scored eight points on the night, even with Michigan focusing on her some of the game in a “diamond and one” defense.

Even with the accomplishment, there wasn’t any noticeable joy because of the result of the game.

“(I) would have rather got a win than to get that,” Moses said.